August 28, 2023
IN THIS NEWSLETTER:
- Updates from Principal Hudspeth
- Class Visit schedule, lunch ordering, car pickup rules, ParentSquare app, Lunch/Recess Times, School Handbook
- Register for the PTA
- Spirit Wear for sale
- Chalk the Walk
- Tears & Cheers Tuesday
- Important reminders from our School Secretary
- Room Parents needed
- Board of Education meeting Tuesday
- Harvest Faire Raffle ideas
- Cub Scouts Open House 9/8
- August 28 - New Student Orientation and Class Visits; Chalk the Walk
- August 29 - First day of school!
- Tears and Cheers 8:55am-9:30am
- Board of Education Meeting at 7:30pm (watch here)
- September 4 - NO SCHOOL
- September 8 - PTA Meeting 9:30am in the APR
- September 11 - Picture Day
- September 13 - Open House 6:30pm-8:00pm
Happy start to the new school year! It is an exciting week ahead as we jump into the 23-24 school year.
Our dedicated staff have been officially back since Thursday, though most have been giving of their own time over the past several weeks. All are making sure our school is ready and welcoming for the year ahead.
Visits on Monday, 8/28
Looking forward to seeing you if you are able to visit at the appropriate time for you. Please note, we will end all visits on time to ensure staff have enough time to continue their preparations for the official opening on Tuesday.
Lunch Ordering- Please note, school lunches cost money this year!
This year, meals cost $3.10 for the first full lunch. There are also a la carte options that have individual costs. You can add money to your child(ren)’s account(s) online through Infinite Campus or by sending cash or a check made out to Fairfield School Lunch. For more information, please visit the Food Services information page.
Car Pick Up System
We will be starting the year using our usual pickup system. On Monday, 8/28, you will receive an email from me with your child(ren)’s pickup number. If you are picking up your child in your car, display the number(s) in your windshield and our staff will check you in. As in past years, we will have two pick up loops, one in front of the lower wing and one by the upper wing. For more information about our drop-off, pick-up, bus, and walker protocols, follow this link.
Starting with this message, I will begin sharing my weekly updates through both the Flash and our new communication service, ParentSquare. You will receive an email inviting you to create your account with ParentSquare early this week. It will go to each guardian’s primary email address as listed in Infinite Campus. Starting on 10/2, all blasts from me and teachers that are usually sent through Infinite Campus Messenger will come through ParentSquare. ParentSquare offers some nice services including translation features. We will learn more about it together in the coming weeks.
Lunch/Recess Times 23-24
Here is the updated OHS Handbook for 23-24 for your reference.
I look forward to seeing you in the coming days and welcoming our students to the new school year! Have a great first week of school!
PTA registration is now open!
By joining the PTA, your membership fees fund programs that benefit all students, from educational materials to school assemblies to recess equipment. Your membership also allows your child to participate in activities that happen before and after school hours like Run Club, the Variety Show, and After School Activities. Membership lasts the entire school year and needs to be renewed annually.
In order to join the PTA you must complete THREE registration steps:
First, register for the PTA
Second, update your family information, adding this year's teachers
Third, complete one PTA waiver per child.
- Go to www.ohspta.com and click “Register/Login.” Sign in with your information, or, if you haven’t yet signed up for a Membership Toolkit account, create a new account.
- Click "Join PTA" on the OHS PTA homepage and follow the three steps listed:
- Add a PTA membership to your cart, click "Save and continue" (Selecting 1 membership will cover all students in your family, and give you one vote on PTA matters. Selecting 2 memberships gives your family 2 votes.)
- Update your family's directory information and change your child(ren)'s teacher
- Fill out a waiver for each child
- Proceed to checkout!
Questions? Please contact Katie McHale
Shop for OHS Gear at Class Visits
We are otter-ly excited to see you at our spiritwear table on Monday, August 28th! Come to meet your teacher and stay to shop our latest spiritwear items, including jibbitz, new keychains, bracelets, water bottles and more! *Cash or check preferred*
OHS spiritwear clothing items can be found through our PuddleBear shop - stay tuned for some new styles to be added this fall.
Let's Chalk the Walk!
Let's inspire our students with a colorful and positive entrance to school! We are looking for parent volunteers to help decorate the outdoor areas of OHS today (Monday) from 4-6pm. The more the merrier and there is plenty of ground to cover. *This is a parent-only activity.*
Questions? Contact Lauren Petruccelli and Brittany Holzhauer
Join us for Tears & Cheers
On the first day of school, please join us in the APR (Cafeteria, for those new to OHS!) as soon as the students have entered the school for some coffee and treats. Together, we can shed “tears” or shout a few “cheers” as you send your kiddos off to school at OHS! It’s a great way to connect with other parents at Osborn Hill. Our school principal, David Hudspeth will also join us for a brief welcome.
As the school year begins, please note the following procedure reminders from our school secretary, Mrs. Budlowski:
- Parents are reminded to send a written note in to your child’s teacher for any dismissal changes (i.e., attending an after-school program (i.e, gym games, etc) or going to a doctor/dentist appointment and being picked up early, leaving for vacation, etc.).
- Do not send teachers an email because if they are out, it will not be received
- Calls to the main office should be for emergencies only (i.e., your car broke down/stuck in traffic) and should be done prior to 3pm
- Call the OHS Attendance Line at 203-255-8417 daily if your child is going to be out sick, on vacation, or tardy. The line is on 24 hours, 7 days a week.
- If your child is out sick, you need to be specific about what symptoms they are experiencing (i.e., COVID, bronchitis, fever, cold, cough, got hurt, etc).
- Parents can leave labeled items that your child forgot and will need that day at school on the Oops cart (in front of the school)
- Be sure to put your child’s name and homeroom on the item
Please try and remember to pack everything they will need for the day before leaving home to limit interruptions to the classroom (i.e., chromebooks, binders, backpacks, instruments, lunches, snacks, water bottles, dismissal notes, jackets, sneakers, etc)
Room Parents Needed
We are collecting submissions for room parent positions. If interested please fill out this Google form by Tuesday, August 29. Submissions will be considered on a first come/first served basis.
Please select all the classes for which you are interested in becoming a room parent. Note that we typically have a greater need for room parents in older classes. There is a space to note what class you would like to prioritize.
Room Parent Duties/Qualifications:
- Work with teacher to identify and coordinate classroom needs
- Execute ongoing email communications to other parents in your class
- Ensure that ALL parents have an opportunity to participate in activities
- Be a paid member of the PTA
Important Dates For Room Parents:
- Meeting to go over duties after the PTA meeting on Friday, September 8
- Open House Wednesday, September 13
Questions? Contact Erin Redgate and Rachel Thomas
Board of Education meeting Tuesday
The Board of Education is holding their next meeting Tuesday, August 29 at 7:30pm. You can watch here.
The Board has not yet received the updated redistricting scenarios it requested from SLAM. You can revisit our July Special Flash on how the current options would affect the OHS community here.
Harvest Faire Raffle Ideas
Harvest Faire is Saturday, October 7th!
We are beginning to collect for our annual raffle! If you have any contributions or ideas please reach out to Ali Galperin or Eileen Ainsworth.
Have news to share? Email Jen Braun by 10am Friday
to include in the following Monday's OHS Weekly Flash.